6.02.2012

doily purse - round 2!

After the last doily purse I made, I've been on the hunt for more dainty little doilies and leather purses to make over. I stumbled onto these lovely little ones and the purse at a yard sale a month or so back. Yesterday I figured it was time to dig them out of my pile of future projects, aka the ever growing pile in the corner of my closet...

Adding doilies to a purse is also ridiculously easy, and doesn't require a lot of supplies. 50 cent purse + 1.50 worth of doilies + mod podge = a very happy crafting me! 


























Materials: mod podge (lots!), a paint brush, purse and doilies!
Optional materials: clips, if you're wrapping the doilies over edges...helps to hold them in place while the mod podge is drying.
















First, figure out where you want the doilies to be on the purse. Position them then start mod podging! You will want to be pretty liberal with the podge. I found it best to start in the middle of the doily and really saturate it with the podge so it stays put, then work your way out to the edges of the doily. 

Go slowly, you don't want to move the doily out of position. Also be careful to not go over the edges onto the purse too much, just enough to fully seal the itty bitty edges down. 














On this particular purse, there were some curves and folds on the front. In this case, you still slowly add the mod podge from the center to edges but use the brush to push M.P. into the strands and crevasses and to fit it to the shape of the curve. Once you have it fitting to the curves, leave that doily alone! Wait a little bit for it to set if you have more than one doily to apply. 

 If you're going over edges, liberally apply the M.P. to that spot of the doily then use a clip to keep it folded over the edge until you've finished painting the other side. Take it off the clips once it holds on it's own. 

Then my least favorite bit. Wait and let it dry fully. I gave my purse overnight to dry, so it was a lovely thing to wake up to this morning! 








16 comments:

  1. I have an old Coach handbag that I just can't throw away and now I know why. I will up date it with your wonderful suggestions of using lace. Wow, I have so many useful things I could save with your ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray!!! It is really one of the easiest updates you can do! I'd love to see the finished purses :) Happy crafting!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is a great idea! I definitely wanna do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's really easy to do, you should definitely try it :)

      Delete
  3. Such a fresh look and a creative idea! The purse turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out pretty. Thanks for sharing the tutorial:-)
    I'm following your blog, hope that you can follow me too, Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And definitely following you back :)

      Delete
  5. Don't you just love Mod Podge?! It came out great! Thanks for sharing at my Pinteresting Party this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun! Too much potential with such a simple material! You're very welcome! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  6. I forgot to also thank you for entering in my Craftastic Competition! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! There's no way I can resist a crafting competition :)

      Delete
  7. What a pretty and unique way to update your purse! Definitely an original and one of a kind look, I love it!
    I'm stopping by from the Craftastic Competition, thank you for entering.
    -Molly
    www.justalittlecreativity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! This purse has been a lot of fun, none of my little students believe that I made it, or that modge podge could actually do that! It goes everywhere with me :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, this looks great! Now, I need to go find a purse to do this with =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm about to make a third one! They're kind of addictive! I feel like I need one in every possible and practical size :)

      Delete

Comments! I love comments!